Dave Kingman: 1948 - 1963
The Formative Years
Full Name: David Arthur Kingman
Date of Birth: December 21, 1948
Place of Birth: Pendleton, Oregon
Pendleton, Oregon: 1948-1951
Denver, Colorado: 1951-1954
Los Angeles, California: 1954-1962
Mount Prospect, Illinois: 1962-1970
Pictured: 1977 New York Mets Yearbook baby picture of Dave
- Dave was born at St. Anthony's Hospital and was delivered by Dr. Jack W. Grondahl in Pendleton, Oregon. (In case you were wondering)
- Dave's father, Arthur, worked for United Airlines and was based in Pendleton from 1943-1951.
- In 1951, Art Kingman was transferred by UAL to a job in Denver, Colorado--so the family moved there for a few years.
- In July 1954, Art was again transferred by UAL--this time to Los Angeles, California.
- At 8 years-old, Dave played 10-inch semi-hardball (mainly as a pitcher and sometimes at first base) in a park recreation league in Hawthorne, in the south bay area of Los Angeles.
- At Little League tryouts when Dave was 9 years old, the league thought he should play with the 10-11-12 year-olds after he fouled 2 pitches off and hit 2 out of the park (they only allowed 4 pitches).
- Art credits Chuck Gibbon, a friend in Hawthorne (who played in the Cardinal system) with teaching Dave the fundamentals of the game. [June 2, 1972 Daily Herald article]
- In 1962, Art was transferred to the corporate offices of United Airlines in Chicago.
Mount Prospect Knights |