- In his 2nd game at SF, 7-31-71, Dave doubled in his first at-bat, then in his second he hit a Grand-Slam in the 4th (off Dave Giusti) to highlight a 15-11 win vs. the Pirates. Was 2-for-3 with 5 RBI's that game.
- The following day in the nightcap of twinbill he smashed two 2-run Homers (off Doc Ellis) helping Giants to 8-3 triumph
- Credited with an estimated 500-foot homer at Shea Stadium off Jerry Koosman on August 25, 1971 that landed on the roof of a bus parked behind the left field bullpen. [Source: 1975 NY Mets Press Guide]
- Had severe appendicitis and was out of action September 1-12 after an emergency appendectomy.
- On September 13th--his first game after the appendectomy, an admittedly weak Dave hammered a single, double and triple.
- On the last day of the regular season, with Willie Mays on base and one of the league's best pitchers, San Diego's Dave Roberts, on the mound, Dave hit a homer to win the West for the Giants.
- Of his 6 homers, hit 3 vs. the Pirates at home and 1 each vs. the Mets, Padres and Cardinals on the road.
- Wore #45 for Giants in 1971.
- Spent winter on National Guard Duty, but did play in the Arizona Instructional League for 1 week.
1972 Season | Back to the Main Page